The University's insurance coverage is managed within the Governance Unit. We can help you understand the conditions of coverage, how to make a claim, as well as obtain confirmation of insurance coverage for your particular situation.

All insurance policies are subject to policy definitions, limits of liability, duty of disclosure, cover benefits and conditions and applicable excesses. These may not all be listed on this website. Changes to the Insurance Policies may occur throughout the policy year.

If you have any other questions or require details of any University insurance policy, please contact Insurance on 08 6488 4710.

The University of Western Australia maintains a range of insurance policies to protect property, plant and equipment the University is responsible for, including owned and leased property in the University's care, custody or control. The University also maintains policies designed to cover staff and students from legal liability which may arise in the conduct of University business.

UWA Insurance Program

Further information on UWA’s insurance arrangements can be found in the attached Insurance Control Document.

Student Insurances

Students of University of Western Australia are protected by the University's insurance program whilst engaged in course-related activities which are approved by the University.

General & Products Liability

UWA students are protected by the University’s General & Products Liability insurance for legal liability against third party claims arising from their negligent actions whilst participating in approved course-related activities (including study abroad, work experience and practicum placements), which results in property loss or damage or personal injury to a third party.

For further information on General & Products Liability insurance, please refer to

Professional Indemnity

UWA students are protected by the University’s Professional Indemnity insurance for civil liability against third party claims arising out of a breach of professional duty, which results in a loss to a third party. A breach includes any negligent act, error or omission committed or alleged to have been committed by the student whilst participating in approved course-related activities (including study abroad, work experience and practicum placements).

Medical Malpractice

Medical Malpractice insurance is applicable for UWA students undertaking placements that require clinical experience as part of their academic accreditation. This insurance provides cover for their legal liability against third party claims arising as a result of medical malpractice. All treatment given by students must be under the direct supervision or express instruction of a qualified practitioner. All applicable clinical protocols must be followed. All patients or guardians must be fully informed and consent must be obtained before commencing any care, procedure or intervention.

Personal Accident

UWA students who are engaged in approved course-related activities (including study abroad, work experience and practicum placements) are covered under the University’s Personal Accident insurance.

The insurance provides capital benefits, weekly benefits, non-medicare medical expenses and injury assistance benefits to UWA students should they suffer an injury or death whilst acting in the capacity as a student on placement. This insurance does not replace Medicare or any Private Health, Overseas Student Health Cover or relevant Sports Association insurance in place.

General Insurers in Australia are prohibited from making payment on any expenses for which a Medicare benefit is paid or is payable including the balance of monies due or payable by a student after the deduction of any Medicare benefit or rebate from the actual expense incurred. This is commonly referred to as the “Medicare Gap”.

The cover provided under Personal Accident insurance is limited and intended to compliment other insurances students may have in place (e.g. Private Health insurance, Overseas Student Health Cover or relevant Sports Association insurance). The University encourages all students to consider their own individual needs and circumstances in relation Private Health, Life and Income Protection insurance. It is an individual’s responsibility to ensure that they have adequate insurance cover for their individual needs.

Corporate Travel (applicable for approved overseas study-related travel)

Due to COVID-19 UWA’s Travel Insurance is more restricted

UWA students undertaking approved study-related travel (including overseas placement, study tour or exchange) are covered under the University’s Corporate Travel insurance.

All study-related travel must be approved by an appropriate University Delegated Authority via the University’s travel management system Concur in accordance with the University’s Travel Policy.

The insurance provides cover against unforeseen losses such as Overseas Medical & Hospital Costs, Repatriation of Mortal Remains, Lost Baggage, Hire Car Excess, Missed Transport Connections and Political Risks & Natural Disaster Evacuation. Specific conditions and exclusions in relation to trip duration, private or leisure travel, age, pre-existing health conditions, group bookings, charter flights, high / extreme risk locations and activities do apply under Corporate Travel insurance. For further information on Corporate Travel insurance, please refer to

The University recommends students familiarise themselves with these specific conditions and exclusions and contact Insurance with any insurance-related queries via email or 08 6488 4710 during business hours.

Student Placement or Work Experience

UWA students undertaking approved unpaid student placements, work experience, community placement or internships, which are an assessable component of their university course or have demonstrated relevance and benefit to their study, will be protected under the following insurances maintained by the University:

  • General & Products Liability
  • Professional Indemnity (where appropriate)
  • Medical Malpractice (where appropriate)
  • Personal Accident
  • Corporate Travel (where placement involves approved overseas travel)

These insurances do not extend to cover liability for any negligent actions or omissions on the part of the Host Organisation that result in injury to, or loss or damage of personal property of a student.

In order for the University’s insurance partner to release confirmation of cover letters which may be requested from Host Organisations, students will need to request their respective Faculty Student Office or Placement Coordinator email Insurance with following additional information:

  • Student Name
  • Student Number
  • Host Organisation Name
  • Practicum Location(s)
  • Start Date
  • Finish Date
  • Confirmation placement is unpaid
  • Confirmation placement has been approved by the appropriate University Delegated Authority

Student Personal Accident Claims

To proceed with a Personal Accident claim for capital benefits or expenses not covered by Medicare or any other source (e.g. Private Health insurance, Overseas Student Health Cover or relevant Sports Association insurance), Students will need to take the following steps within 30 days of the injury occurring or as soon as practically possible:

  • Download and complete the Student PA Claim Form from this web page.
  • Email the completed forms to Insurance with all receipts, quotes and relevant documentation including UWA Incident Report within 30 days of completion of your incident or as soon as possible thereafter.
  • Ensure your Australian bank account details and Student ID number are detailed on the claim form to enable funds to be paid into your nominated bank account.

Insurance, will review the information submitted with your claim and forward it to Insurance for assessment. The insurer has 10 business days to assess your claim once all supporting documentation is provided and all investigations are complete.

Enquires and confirmation of cover letter requests may be made via email to [email protected] or telephone 08 6488 4710 during business hours.

Insurance for Research Projects

Clinical Trials

UWA Office of Research

Controlled Environments

The University sector including UWA, has had many claims for research material stored in a controlled environment.  Primarily as a result of the adverse loss experience the coverage available for research in controlled environments has become more restrictive.


The key change involves a new section in the policy wording for Research Projects in which the term Controlled Environments (CE’s) is introduced.  This identifies and addresses the similarities regarding the exposures within any environment that has research conducted that requires a controlling mechanism. This could be oxygenated fish tanks, freezers/fridges, insectaries, animal houses, greenhouses, rooms that must be kept a set temperature, dewars, etc. This is not an exhaustive list and if an environment requires a controlling mechanism, then it is captured by these changes.


A clearly defined term in relation to controlled environments has been included, it is Mitigated.  For a Controlled Environment to be considered mitigated it must have:

  • A back to base alarm that is monitored 24 hours a day. The alarm must be capable of detecting a change in the environment (temperature and power) and must be serviced to manufacturer specifications.
  • The Controlled Environments' contents are being managed by Freezer Pro.
  • Back-up Power capable of providing power in the event of a loss of regular power to the environment. Back-up power must be serviced in accordance with manufacturer specifications.
  • The controlling mechanism, for example a minus 80-degree freezer, must be serviced to manufacturer specifications.
  • A documented and tested response plan for management of research contents in the event of a failure.
  • Valuation assessment in accordance with our insurers Research Valuation Guidelines or a similar, approved methodology. (Refer to Controlled Environment Research Guide and Valuation Tools )
  • A variation of the above that has been assessed and approved by our insurer and noted within our policy wording.

Where the Controlled Environment does not meet the criteria of points 1-5 or a pre agreed variation (point 6), it will be considered Non-Mitigated, as a result the cover available to it is reduced.

Policy limits and Deductibles:

For mitigated controlled environments the policy limit is $5m any one event. Our retention (excess) is 20% of the value of the claim subject to a base deductible of $150,000.

For non-mitigated controlled environments, the limit has been reduced to $250,000 for individual losses with an annual aggregate of $500,000 i.e. the maximum UWA can claim in any one policy year for this type of loss is $500,000. Our retention is 50% of the loss subject to a base excess of $150,000

Certificates of currency

If you are involved in a University activity such as an event, exchange or work placement, you may be required to provide a Certificate of Insurance.

Please find the relevant certificate below:

To obtain a Certificate not listed above or one that is specifically tailored to note an interested third party, please contact Insurance via email or (08) 6488 4710


You may be asked to update insurance data commencing in the second quarter of each year as part of the annual insurance policy renewals.

Each year in approximately April / May the University is required to collate information for the insurance renewal for the next policy year (which commences each year on 31 October).

Unimutual, the University's protection provider for various classes of insurance, provides an online renewal management system, to manage data collection. An email will be sent to you with a user name and password login if you are required to update insurance data. You will be requested to enter the ReSure site and use the customer login.

When logged in, to view and update information, click on the collect button and follow the instructions.

The deadline for updating renewal information will be confirmed via email.

Should you have any enquiries email insurance or call (08) 6488 4710

I need to notify of an incident that might give rise to a claim or make a claim

Making an insurance claim can be specific to the class of insurance the loss relates to. For this reason we have made further specific information available on notifying / making a claim for different classes of insurance under the respective summaries of coverage. Please refer to the relevant insurance policy link listed above for information specific to making a claim for that insurance policy.